On December 9 the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine adopted the Resolution No. 1236 on the extension of the quarantine until February 28 as well as the introduction of a lockdown from January 8 to 24. The Resolution entered into force on December 12.
While the prolongation of the present quarantine was predictable, news about the forthcoming lockdown caused concern among Ukrainians. However, only after analysis of the new restrictions one can answer whether January anti-pandemic measures shall be considered as the lockdown v.2.0.
- Time frames
New restrictions, applicable in addition to those existing today, will be provided for the period from 00:00 on January 8, 2021 to 00:00 on January 25, 2021.
- What is prohibited?
During this period visiting the following institutions will be forbidden:
- Restaurants, cafes, bars etc., unless it is for a delivery or takeaway, or in the airport;
- Fitness clubs, gyms, swimming pools;
- Educational institutions (except for kindergartens);
- Non-food markets;
- Shopping malls, with exception to the certain business entities activities (see below in Section “What is allowed”);
- Cultural establishments: theaters, cinemas etc.;
- Other entertainment establishments (save for certain exceptions).
Furthermore, work of the restaurants, cafes, bars etc. in the hotels is forbidden, unless they deliver food to the rooms between 6 am and 11 am.
- What is allowed?
- The work of transport – public, intercity and international; railways, airports etc.;
- Car related services – maintenance and repair, gas stations;
- The work of the markets that trade such goods:
– Food and beverages;
– Medicines and medical products;
– Hygiene products;
– Communication equipment;
– Animal feed and veterinary drugs.
- The work of the following institutions will be allowed as the exception the general rules:
– Banks and other financial institutions;
– Medical and veterinary institutions;
– Postal services;
– Beauty salons (by appointment);
– Sport clubs for athletes of national teams of Ukraine and their coaches;
– Sports events of professional clubs (without spectators);
– Skiing resorts (without catering).
Hence, in effect, Ukrainian government approved a new procedure for quarantine restrictions that are stricter than the present limitations. At the same time, these anti-COVID measures will not be as strong and long-lasting as the one entered at the beginning of the 2020.